Mobile Deposit Capture FAQ
What is Mobile Deposit Capture?
Mobile Deposit Capture, also known as "MDC", is a service that allows our members to scan or take a picture of checks and transmit the images to Dakota Star FCU for posting and clearing. This service eliminates a trip to the branch to make your deposit, saving you time.
Is MDC safe/secure?
Yes, MDC uses the same level of security and encryption standards as online banking, ensuring that member deposits and personal information are completely safe.
Is MDC right for me?
Everyone who receives checks can benefit from mobile deposit capture. With the ability to make deposits from anywhere at any time, it's faster, safer, and more convenient than making a trip to a branch or ATM.
Am I eligible to use MDC?
You must be a member 18 years of age with a checking account in good standing for 90 days.
Is there a cost to use MDC?
No, Mobile Deposit Capture is a free service offered to you. You may want to check with your wireless carrier to see if message and data rates apply.
How do I access MDC?
Download our app from the App Store (iPhone, iPad), Google Play Store (Android devices), or the Amazon App Store. Search for Dakota Star Federal Credit Union.
How can I enroll into MDC?
To enroll into MDC, you must first be a member of Dakota Star FCU. You will need to be enrolled for our online banking system. Once enrolled, download our app. Next, call us at 605-342-6442 and ask to be enrolled in MDC.
Can I use MDC to deposit funds to accounts other than Dakota Star FCU checking accounts?
No. The only account that can receive an MDC is your Dakotas Star FCU checking account.
Do I need to endorse a check submitted with MDC?
Yes. For a check to be accepted, an endorsement is required, just as you would if depositing at the ATM or in a branch. Please endorse the check as it is written on the front of the check. Also include your account number and “For mobile deposit only” on the back of the check.
What types of checks does MDC accept?
Acceptable check types include: personal checks, business checks, cashier’s checks, payroll checks, and money orders. Note that Government checks are often problematic and are not recommended for Mobile Deposit. We suggest you bring those to the branch to ensure timely availability of your funds.
What types of checks does MDC NOT accept?
Unacceptable check types include:
Dakota Star FCU Check Drawn on Personal Account
- The deposit of a personal check that is drawn on the same account holder's personal checking at Dakota Star FCU is PROHIBITED. Deposits of this nature will result in the immediate revocation of this service and may subject you to collection efforts.
Checks greater than $2,500
- Checks greater than $2,500 must be brought into the branch.
- Insurance checks must be brought into the branch.
Foreign Checks / Foreign Money Orders
- A check or money order that is issued by a financial institution in another country.
- An altered check is any check that contains evidence of a change (correction fluid, crossed out amounts, etc.) to information on the face of the check. Members with altered checks MUST get a replacement check from the maker before Dakota Star FCU will accept the deposit.
Stale Dated Checks
- Certain checks contain instructions such as: "Void after 90 days after issue date" or "must be cashed within 6 months of issue date."
Post Dated Checks
- Checks dated for a day after the day of deposit.
- An incomplete item is any item that does not contain signatures of the maker, endorsement signatures, or is missing any of the information required.
- The deposit of any item stamped with a "non-negotiable" watermark is PROHIBITED. Deposits of this nature will result in the immediate revocation of this service and may subject you to collection efforts
Third Party Checks
Do I need to include a deposit slip with my check?
No, a deposit slip is not required.
How do I verify that a check has been accepted?
To check the status of a deposit, log into the application and click on the 'Deposit' tab. Then, click on View Deposit History. Deposit history for all statuses will be displayed "pending," "failed," or "accepted."
Can I deposit more than one check at a time?
No, only one check can be deposited at a time.
Can I deposit more than one check per day?
Yes, you can.
How quickly will the deposit be credited to my account once the deposit is accepted?
Checks deposited using the MDC will generally be made available in two business days from the day of deposit. We may make such funds available sooner based on such factors the Credit Union, in its sole discretion, deems relevant. Business days are considered Monday through Friday. Saturday, Sunday, and Federal holidays are not considered business days.
If I discover I've entered an incorrect amount for a deposited check, should I Re-deposit the check?
No. The check can only be deposited into Mobile Deposit once. If you've entered the check amount incorrectly, it will most likely be in a pending status awaiting further review. You can verify this by going to 'View Deposit History' and viewing the status of the deposit. After the check is reviewed, it will be rejected because the incorrect amount was entered. If a check is rejected, we will attempt to contact you about why the deposit was rejected. After we contact you, you can attempt to redeposit the check. However, if you do not see that the check is in a pending or rejected status, please contact the credit union at 605-342-6442.
What should I do with my check after using MDC?
You agree to retain each item no fewer than five business days after your funds have been posted to your account. Upon receipt of these funds, you agree to mark the items prominent as “Void” and to dispose of the item(s) in a way that prevents representing for payment. You agree to store each retained item in a secured locked container until such proper disposal is performed.
How long can I view my transaction history?
Transactions can be viewed for 45 days within the MDC application.
Questions or problems?
If you have any questions or problems, call us at 605-342-6442 or 1-800-418-0369.